Benefits of Using an AirTag for Your Cat
- Real-Time Location Tracking: An AirTag allows you to track your cat's location in real-time via bluetooth or when near other iPhones, by pairing with iPhones nearby using Apple's Find My network.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing you can locate your cat provides an unmatched peace of mind. Whether they're just in another room or have wandered outside, a quick check on your phone reassures you of their safety.
- Lightweight and Unobtrusive: AirTags are smaller and more lightweight than GPS's, making them suitable for attaching to a cat collar without causing discomfort or hindrance to your cat’s movements.
- User-Friendly: The setup process is straightforward, and the interface of the Find My app is user-friendly, making it accessible for all cat owners, regardless of their tech-savviness.
Considerations and Limitations
- Bluetooth Range: AirTags rely on Bluetooth, which means they work best when within range of an Apple device.
- Find my Network: When the AirTag is outside the Bluetooth reach, it can be tracked using the Find my Network. In remote areas or places with fewer Apple devices, tracking might be less accurate or unavailable.
- Battery Life: While AirTags have a battery life of about a year, it's important to keep track of this and replace the battery when needed.
In conclusion, integrating an AirTag into your cat's collar can be a smart way to monitor their location, similar to how a well-designed harness like the Houdini keeps them physically secure. However, it's important to be aware of its limitations and not solely rely on it for your cat's safety. Combined with responsible pet ownership practices, an AirTag can add an extra layer of security for your adventurous feline companion.
For more information on how to use an AirTag on your cat, read our full article about finding a cat thanks to an AirTag.
Don't take our word for it
We got the Keeper AirTag holder for our tabby, and it's perfect. It fits well on his collar, not too tight or loose, and it's sleek enough not to bother him. A must-have if your cat goes outdoors!
I chose the Keeper AirTag holder for my adventurous Maine Coon, and I couldn't be happier. It attaches seamlessly to his collar, offering a comfortable fit without adding any bulk. For those with outdoor cats, this holder is an absolute necessity for peace of mind.
I love the Keeper AirTag. The fit is just right on her collar, neither too snug nor too loose, and its slim design doesn't impede her movements.
An AirTag is quite small, with a diameter of 1.26 inches (32 mm) and a height of 0.31 inch (8 mm). It's compact enough to fit comfortably on a cat's collar without causing any inconvenience.
Yes, AirTags can be attached to most cat collars using the Keeper AirTag Holder. These holders are designed to securely fit the AirTag and can be easily attached to your cat's collar.
AirTags are safe for cats as long as they are secured in a holder that's specifically designed for attaching to a collar.
Ensure that the holder is snug and secure to prevent any risk of your cat losing the AirTag.
AirTags use Bluetooth or when not in reach, Apple's Find My network, which leverages millions of Apple devices around the world to locate your AirTag.
When in range, you can see the location of your cat's AirTag on your Apple device.
No, AirTags don’t have GPS. They use Bluetooth to connect to nearby Apple devices that are part of the Find My network.
The location information is then relayed to you through the Find My app. To activate the real time tracking you need to set the AirTag in lost mode.
The range of an AirTag depends on the density of Apple devices in the area.
In urban environments with many Apple users, the range can be quite extensive. However, in more remote areas, tracking might be less reliable.
Yes, AirTags are water-resistant. They can withstand splashes and rain, but it’s not recommended to submerge them in water for extended periods.
Currently, AirTags don’t support geofencing functionality. You can track the location of your cat but you won’t receive automatic alerts if they leave a predetermined area.